Wednesday, March 3, 2010

So Im just a little bit of a nerd...

A couple weeks ago, I was approached by one of my professors and asked to compete in the Alberta Deans of Business Challenge. They take 4 students from our school and we go up to compete against other schools in Alberta, some from BC, and some from Saskatchewan. My professor said it was such an honor for me to be chosen! Here is the link that talks about the competition.

So it's not like High School Musical where they have the little dinger bell thing and we race to see who can solve the equation the fastest, or make a substance turn green and bubbly...
Basically, they lock each team in a War Room (sounds ominous, doesn't it!!) for 10 hours with a 20 page case that we study and prepare. Then the next day we give a presentation before a panel of judges, after which they question us on strategies and how and why we would do certain things. Crazy, yes!

I am super excited to be involved in something like this, but also way stressed. We have meetings each week with the 3 other students, as well as with 2 faculty members that help in getting us prepared. Apparently some schools have been meeting for months already....I guess it's kind of a big deal!


So I have just over 3 weeks to be ready! No pressure. In previous years, the cases have been on anything from the Apple iPod to Lululemon attire. I have no idea what to expect...!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for this for you! It's going to be so amazing! Congrats again you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you to do this! You will do great, your team members are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is crazyness!!! wow katie!! you will be amazing, no doubt! :) you are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete