Sunday, June 5, 2011

Carry Me Back To Old Virginny


I made it! There were times that I wasn't so sure...

With finals and tutoring and everything else finally out of the way, I was getting ready to embark on my journey of 4100 km across the country. But smooth sailings were not to be had. In the few days leading up to my departure, my car started acting strange. Turns out things like transmissions don't last forever...turns out they tend to go kaput just after the warranty runs out. Funny how that happens! But with it being Easter long weekend, I didn't feel like I could wait around for 5 more days in order shops to open to get it fixed. So Saturday, April 23, I decided to head out and get as far as I possibly could. KJ and my dad both said they thought my transmission would probably get me all the way to Virginia. Good enough for me, so I started to drive. With my GPS and Google Maps in hand, I prayed for smooth sailings.

I love GPS. I do. But sometimes it is a love/hate relationship. I don't know what happened but the GPS took me places I just really didn't want to go. A normal person driving from Alberta to Virginia would drive across the entire state of North Dakota. But strangely, the GPS decided to add 300-400 miles onto my journey and drop me down through South Dakota instead. I didn't see so much as a glimpse of a North Dakota horizon. I have to think that God was looking out for me in some strange way. It probably has something to do with the fact that there is kind of a warrant our for my arrest in the state of North Dakota....no big deal.


It was a long long drive though. The pep-talks I gave my car were definitely oscar movie material. I didn't really know what to expect if my transmission were to suddenly die on the way down, but I kept having these visions of my car blowing up as I drove down the interstate. I had to keep reassuring myself that my Dad loved me more than that and wouldn't have let me drive with the possibility of suddenly combusting.

But I made it! And I love it! It is so incredibly great to be here.

I had my first Saturday off a little while ago, and it was the weirdest but best feeling in the world. I had no responsibilities, no errands, no stress, no decisions to make. And I love it.

I also had to speak in Chuch last Sunday. My topic was Patience. I was glad it wasn't Honesty....

But Life is Good!

3 comments:

  1. This is crazyness!! An extra 300-400 miles! That is huge!! Holey smokes! I am so glad you are safe in virginia! :) You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katie, you are too cute. I'm so glad you made it okay. You are quite the brave gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie girl, are you sure you wouldn't rather be an author girl instead of a number girl? You're writing is remarkable!

    ReplyDelete